Grand Opening of Mater Biopolymer, a 100% company owned by Novamont, in Central Italy

The Patrica Plant

Mater Bipolymer, a 100% company owned by Novamont, today celebrates its Grand Opening in Patrica (Frosinone, Central Italy). The plant represents a new important element of Novamont’s bioeconomy model. “Another virtuous example of territorial regeneration of industrial infrastructures that are no longer competitive”, the company headquartered in Novara claims.

The plant works making Origo-Bi, a line of renewably sourced polyesters. Origo-Bi is used to improve the characteristics of Novamont’s Mater-Bi biodegradable and compostable bioplastics. The Origio-Bi production line uses proprietary Novamont technology.

The Italian bioplastics firm led by Catia Bastioli acquired in 2014 a majority stake (78%) in the company that operated a resin plant in Patrica and was a unit of PET resin maker Gruppo Mossi Ghisolfi. In February 2017 Novamont exercised its option to acquire the remaining 22% of the share capital of Mater Biopolymer srl.

Officials said that the plant — known as the Patrica plant — had become too small for the economies of scale of MG’s PET production, but was an ideal size for Novamont.

Novamont has extensive experience in the field of bioplastics, and has given new impetus to the site, creating jobs and competitive barriers and enhancing existing research skills in the areas of materials, process engineering and innovation in general.

Novamont’s biodegradable materials are used for film and foam, and in extrusion, thermoforming and injection molded products. Industrial applications for Mater-Bi are in agriculture, hygiene, organic-food packaging, food service, and as additives in rubber.

Cutting of the ribbon by Catia Bastioli, CEO Novamont



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.