Neste and Viva Aerobus, the Mexican ultra low-cost carrier, have signed a new purchase agreement for one million liters (264,000 gallons) of Neste MY Sustainable Aviation Fuel™. The sustainable aviation fuel (SAF) supplied to Viva Aerobus will be blended with conventional jet fuel and used to power the airline’s flights from Los Angeles International Airport to Guadalajara, Mexico City and Monterrey in Mexico.
Author: Il Bioeconomista
Versalis signed Novamont acquisition agreement with Mater-Bi
Versalis – Eni’s chemical company and a shareholder of Novamont (36%) – and Mater-Bi – a company controlled by Investitori Associati II and NB Renaissance – yesterday signed an agreement for Versalis to acquire the remaining 64% of Novamont’s shares currently held by Mater-Bi. Novamont is a leading international company in the field of chemistry from renewable sources. Next steps and the timing of closing are subject to approval by the competent authorities.
EFI inaugurated the BioCities Facility in Rome to catalyse a new Renaissance led by circular bioeconomy
The BioCities Facility was inaugurated last week in Rome, taking advantage of the “ThinkForest seminar Forests and the cities of the future”, which explored the transformational role forests and nature can play in creating ‘biocities’, and some of the challenges and opportunities that lie ahead. The seminar took place in Rome on 20 April, as part of the official launch of EFI’s new Biocities Facility and celebrations of EFI’s 30th anniversary.
An exclusive interview with Nick Smith, Head of Development and Commercialisation at Circa Group
“When we consider that nearly all of the materials and products in society today are essentially 100% based on petrochemicals and that the chemical sector is responsible for 10% of global carbon emissions, half of that from the fossil-based feedstock used to produce the chemicals, we see that the world is not only dependent on petroleum but also on petrochemicals. To transition to a lower carbon economy, we need renewable chemicals just as much as renewable energy.” Nick Smith, Head of Development Commercialisation at Circa Group, talks to Il Bioeconomista. In this exclusive interview, he talks about the ReSolute plant in Eastern France, the new partnerships and the next steps of the Australian company and the role of the bioeconomy to make industries more sustainable.
Interview by Mario Bonaccorso
BIC and Tech Tour launched the Bio-based Industries Investment Programme
Tech Tour and the Bio-based Industries Consortium (BIC) launched the Bio-based Industries Investment Programme 2023/2024. “The Programme – both organizations state – aims to facilitate investments into the most promising European bioeconomy scale-ups selected by the most active investors and corporate partners.
MAIRE Tecnimont Acquires Conser to Strengthen Energy Transition Portfolio
MAIRE Tecnimont S.p.A., a leading player in the engineering and construction of plants in the energy, infrastructure, and petrochemical sectors, announced the completion of the acquisition of an 83.5% stake in Conser.
Fragrance & Beauty: Amyris closed strategic transaction with Givaudan
Amyris, Inc., a US leading synthetic biotechnology company, completed the previously announced strategic transaction with Givaudan SA for the worldwide exclusive licensing of certain cosmetic ingredients, including Neossance® Squalane, the highest performant emollient, Neossance® Hemisqualane, the plant-based silicone alternative, and CleanScreen™, the sustainable sun protector.
Negotiations in final stages for Versalis’ acquisition of Novamont, leader in the chemicals from renewables
Versalis, Eni’s chemical company and 36% shareholder of Novamont, and Mater-Bi, a company controlled by Investitori Associati II and NB Renaissance, shareholder of Novamont’s remaining 64%, announce exclusive negotiations to finalise the acquisition by Versalis of Novamont’s entire share package.
An exclusive interview with Marc Palahí, Director EFI. “We need a massive Innovation plan to realise the potential of the circular bioeconomy”
“One of the greatest advantages of the circular bioeconomy is the fact that it relies on renewable biological resources and renewable energy which we can develop, manage and process in Europe, which is not a continent rich in fossil resources or rare earth materials.” To say it – in this exclusive interview with Il Bioeconomista – is Marc Palahí, director of the European Forest Institute. He talks about circular bioeconomy, the role played by the forest-based sector, the Circular Bioeconomy Alliance founded by His Majesty King Charles III (formerly The Prince of Wales) and the next event focused on Biocities, which will take place in Rome on April 20.
Interview by Mario Bonaccorso
L’Oréal and Geno create bio-based alternatives to key ingredients in beauty products
L’Oréal invested in a venture led by Geno, the California-headquartered biotechnology company, to create sustainable alternatives to key ingredients in beauty products. The French multinational company will be a founding member of the venture alongside Unilever and Kao.